When we think about millennials, we may not always associate this generation with home ownership. Yet, for some millennials, moving from renter to property owner is starting to become more of reality.
How these millennials are able to afford a down payment and buy a home is simple: They have taken the time to familiarize themselves with the process of buying a home and what is required, along with using the following tips:
- Create a budget and stick to it. A budget ensures that you know exactly where every dollar is spent, and it can help you reduce spending. By reducing spending, you will have extra money left over each month.
- Open an interest-bearing savings account. Next, take all that extra money you have left over and put it into a savings account.
- Learn how to use coupons and shop sales ads. Another way to cut spending is by adjusting your shopping habits. If it is not on sale, and you don’t have a coupon for it and can wait, then don’t buy it now.
- Learn how to cook and prepare meals at home. One of the biggest things millennials enjoy is dining out constantly. By cutting this expense and reducing dining out time to once every week or every other week, you will have more money to set aside to buy a home.
- Get preapproved for mortgage financing. Doing so will give you a better idea of how much home you can afford and how much you need for a down payment.
To learn more about the home-buying process and to get preapproved for a home loan, please feel free to contact Elite Financial at (800) 908-LEND or (805) 494-9930 today!